Your Career: Getting from “Okay” to “Hell Yes”
You can easily see where you want to get in your career, but what happens between now and then may be a little…foggy. Clarify the path from where you are now to where you want to be with a classic SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis.
Step 1: Analyze
- Strengths: What current strengths make me perfect for my dream role?
- Weaknesses: What skill gaps do I need to fill to be an ideal candidate for my dream job?
- Opportunities: What priority goals will my dream job bring me closer to? What opportunities available to me now could give me a head start on those goals?
- Threats: What might stop and/or limit me from developing my targeted skills or inching toward my stretch goals?
Step 2: Plan
- How can I put my current strengths to use right now?
- How can I develop skills in my weakest knowledge or competency areas?
- What stretch opportunities can I pursue, starting tomorrow?
- What will I do to mitigate threats when they pop up?