“Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you.” — Mary Lou Retton
❗Pssst…If you work in HR, we’re launching a brand new free newsletter for HR Professionals called Human Crapital! Subscribe today before the next issue comes out (weekly on Wednesdays).
FOR THE MIND
10 Takeaways from Atomic Habits
Atomic Habits by James Clear is a transformative treasure trove of insights. From the power of small changes to the art of habit stacking, Clear offers practical strategies to supercharge your daily routines.
If you haven’t read it, or simply need a refresh on the content, here are our top 10 takeaways from the book:
- Start small for big results: Break down your goals into small, manageable habits that will accumulate over time to produce significant outcomes. Example: Instead of committing to an hour of exercise, start with a five-minute walk every day and gradually increase the duration.
- Harness the power of habit stacking: Attach new habits to existing ones to create a seamless routine that increases the likelihood of consistent practice. Example: After finishing your morning coffee, spend five minutes meditating to cultivate a daily mindfulness practice.
- Shape your environment: Modify your surroundings to make desired habits more convenient and less tempting ones less accessible, thereby setting yourself up for success. Example: Keep a bowl of fresh fruit on your kitchen counter to make healthy snacking the default choice.
- Understand the habit loop: Identify the cues that trigger your habits, the routines you follow, and the rewards you receive. This awareness allows you to intentionally adjust and reshape your habits. Example: When you feel the urge to check your phone (cue), replace the habit of mindless scrolling (routine) with reading a few pages of a book (new routine) to satisfy your curiosity (reward).
- Embrace an identity-based approach: Rather than focusing solely on outcomes, adopt the mindset of the person you want to become by embodying the habits that align with that identity. Example: If you want to be known as a writer, set aside 15 minutes each day to journal or work on a personal writing project.
- Track your progress: Keep a record of your habits to visually monitor your consistency and identify patterns that can guide your improvements. Example: Use a habit tracking app or a simple calendar to mark each day you complete your desired habit, creating a visual representation of your consistency.
- Overcome inertia with the “Two-Minute Rule”: Begin with habits that require minimal time or effort, as these serve as a gateway to building momentum and tackling more substantial habits. Example: Commit to doing two minutes of stretching exercises before bed, gradually extending the duration as the habit becomes more established.
- Cultivate empowering beliefs: Recognize and challenge self-limiting beliefs, replacing them with positive and empowering ones that support your habit-building journey. Example: Replace self-doubt with positive affirmations like “I am capable of learning new skills” to foster a growth mindset.
- Learn from setbacks: Embrace failures as opportunities for growth and learning. Use setbacks as feedback to adjust your approach and continue moving forward. Example: If you skip a day of practicing a musical instrument, reflect on the reasons why and create a plan to prevent similar lapses in the future.
- Stay consistent: Understand that lasting change comes from the sustained practice of habits. Prioritize consistency and perseverance to cultivate lasting habits that lead to desired outcomes. Example: Schedule a specific time each day for reading and treat it as a non-negotiable appointment with yourself, even if it’s just for 10 minutes.
TOGETHER WITH NOOM
Noom Is Your Partner In Transforming Your Health & Creating Lasting Changes
Ready to change your relationship with food?
Noom‘s psychology-based approach helps you make behavioral changes, empowering you to understand and make healthier choices. Noom helps you develop healthy habits, change your mindset, and achieve your goals in a sustainable way without having to give up the things you love.
Noom now has Noom Circles, an online community to connect you with fellow Noom users.
Forgive, practice, and stick to the plan with Noom – take their quiz to get started today.
FOR THE BODY
A Guide to Vitamins
Vitamins are like little superheroes that play a crucial role in keeping us energized and glowing with health.
Check out this vitamin guide and some fun facts about what you might be lacking:
Vitamin ABCs: Vitamin A for awesome vision, B for boundless energy, C for a glowing immune system, and D for dazzling sunshine vibes. Remember the alphabet of wellness!
- Fun Fact: Did you know that a lack of vitamin D can make you feel as gloomy as a rainy day? So, let’s soak up some sun and keep those smiles shining!
Not a fan of swallowing pills? Try adult gummy vitamins.
Don’t Forget Your Omega-3s: These fatty acids are fuel for your brain and heart. Think fish, chia seeds, and walnuts.
- Fun Fact: Did you know that a lack of B vitamins can make you feel as forgetful as a goldfish? Load up on those B vitamins to boost your memory power.
While it’s important to nourish ourselves with a balanced diet, sometimes we might need a little vitamin boost.
Consult your doctor or consider adding supplements to your routine to ensure you’re getting the vitamins you need.
TOGETHER WITH MIRO
We know you love a good template!
Here’s a quick hitting list of our fave templates from Miro:
- Workshop and Meeting Energizers Template
- Career Path Template for Leaders
- Meeting Agenda Template
- Pros & Cons List Template
- Stickies Packs Template
- Emotions Wheel Icebreaker Template
FOR THE WORKPLACE
Wellness Challenges for The Summer
- 👟 Step Challenge: Encourage employees to track their daily steps using fitness trackers or smartphone apps. Set a collective goal and celebrate milestones along the way.
- 🚰 Water Intake Challenge: Promote hydration by challenging employees to drink a certain amount of water each day. Provide water bottles and create a friendly competition to see who can stay the most hydrated.
- 🥨 Healthy Snack Swap: Encourage employees to bring nutritious snacks to share with their colleagues. Set up a designated area where employees can exchange unhealthy snacks for healthier alternatives.
- 📔 Gratitude Journaling: Provide employees with journals and encourage them to write down things they are grateful for each day. Create a shared gratitude wall or board where employees can display their entries.
- 😅 Deskercise Challenge: Encourage employees to incorporate physical activity into their workday by sharing quick desk exercises or stretches. Set reminders for employees to take short movement breaks throughout the day.
FOR YOUR TEAM
Celebrate The Important Holidays
We don’t know about you, but around here we take National Wine & Cheese Day and Hot Fudge Sundae Day very seriously. Just so happens that these 2 holidays align on the same day this year: July 25th.
If you want to set up the best day in the office, here are some ideas on how you can celebrate or surprise your team:
🍷 Wine and Cheese Tasting: Set up a wine and cheese tasting station in the office where team members can sample different wine varieties and indulge in a selection of delicious cheeses. Provide tasting notes and encourage everyone to share their favorite pairings.
🧀 Cheeseboard Potluck: Organize a cheeseboard potluck where each team member brings their favorite cheese or cheese-based dish to share. Create a beautiful display of various cheeses, accompaniments, and crackers for everyone to enjoy.
🍨 Hot Fudge Sundae Bar: Create a DIY hot fudge sundae bar in the office. Set up stations with different ice cream flavors, toppings like hot fudge, caramel, sprinkles, and an array of delightful extras such as whipped cream, nuts, and cherries. Let everyone build their dream sundaes.
🍒 Hot Fudge Sundae Team-Building Challenge: Divide your team into smaller groups and challenge them to create the most extravagant and visually appealing hot fudge sundae. Set a time limit for the challenge and let the creative juices flow. Once the time is up, have each team present their masterpiece to the rest of the group and vote on the winning creation based on presentation, creativity, and teamwork.
🥂 Office Happy Hour: Transform a break area into a cozy lounge and set up a mini bar with a variety of wines, cheese platters, and hot fudge sundae bar. Encourage team members to take a break, mingle, and enjoy the variety of treats.
Note: Ensure that any alcoholic offerings align with your company policies and consider non-alcoholic alternatives for those who prefer not to drink. Enjoy the festivities, savor the flavors, and have a delightful time celebrating these tasty occasions with your team!
Our awesome partners keep our content free
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
🏅 Consider creating an employee recognition wall.
🔖 Catch up on all Wellness Wednesday newsletters here.
🚨 Job Openings
- University of Virginia, Department of Safety & Security is hiring for a Chief of Staff (Charlottesville, VA).
- Workday is hiring for a Senior Product Manager (Hybrid/Boulder, CO).
- Workday is hiring for a Senior Associate, Change Management and Communications (Hybrid/Pleasanton, CA).
- ZipRecruiter is hiring for a Sr. Financial Analyst (Hybrid/Santa Monica, CA).
- Snapchat is hiring for a Sr. Executive Assistant (Santa Monica, CA or Seattle, WA).
- University of Virginia Health System is hiring an Executive Assistant – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (Charlottesville, VA).