🎉 Happy International Women’s Day!
Start your morning with this affirmation:
Today’s checklist: Celebrate International Women’s Day, destress, put work-life balance into your company policies and evade news-induced insanity.
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
The 2022 International Women’s Day organizers have some missions for us all: Celebrate women’s achievement. Raise awareness against bias. Take action for equality.
There is definitely still bias that needs breaking. Recent research shows bias against women to be alive and well, even in environments where women are themselves the majority.
There’s also good reason to believe women can clear this hurdle, as they have so many others. To list just a few examples:
- The percentage of US chemists, CEOs, and mathematicians who are female increased from 2000 to 2019.
- The number of women business owners is on the rise.
- The number of women across the globe seeking education is growing.
SPONSORED BY OFFICE OTTER
Automate Your To-Do List
With Office Otter, you can convert your daily requests and messages automatically into tasks in one place to help you do your best work.
Designed with the utmost simplicity, Office Otter is intuitive and easy to use:
- 💵 Have confidence and work towards a promotion with our powerful downloadable performance reports.
- 🚀 Start the week with your top priorities through smart due dates.
- ✅ Never miss a step with their Checklists.
You’re a people person. Stop forcing scattered tools that weren’t made for you, and thrive in your role with Office Otter.
YOU DO YOU
Destress. 5 Minutes. You’ve Got This
You’ve got 5 minutes for yourself, don’t you?
👂 How ‘bout ears?
GET MORE SH*T DONE
Work-Life Balance in a Policy?
Many people see work-life balance as an individual goal, and it will remain an individual goal if more groups don’t start offering individuals systemic, policy-grounded support and solutions.
“The only way that anyone can balance work and family or work and personal life, is if everyone within an organization agrees that ‘life balance’ is critical to the overall well-being of employees and the productivity, and effectiveness of the company,” says Kim Jabal, CFO of Weebly
The resources below will help you start, or even just propose, comprehensive policies to promote work-life balance across the office.
- Work/Life Balance: Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety
- Work-Life Balance Policy: University College London
- SHRM: Case Study Series on Work-Life Balance in Large Organizations
Common Offerings in Work-Life Balance Policies
- Health and wellness programs
- Generous leave policies
- Paid sick leave
- Company-wide daily communication cutoffs
- Medical leave
- Bereavement leave
- Dependent care
- Elder care
- Emergency childcare assistance
- Alternative work schedules (AWS)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Planned remote working
- Compressed hours
- Career Breaks
- Job share
- Job splitting
- Part-time working
- Parental leave
- Family leave
- Leaves of absence (such as educational leave)
- On-site seminars and workshops
- Training opportunities
SPONSORED BY MARCO EXPERIENCES
Have Fun With Your Team This Week
🥳 Celebrate International Women’s Day with a Marco Experience.
Choose from immersive, educational, and genuinely fun experiences led by incredible women facilitators — ranging from breathwork and meditation workshops 🧘, to women-empowering conversations over wine tasting 🍷, to Georgia O’Keeffe-inspired painting classes 🎨.
Stay Informed but Also Sane
Pandemics and war have jumped off the pages of the latest dystopian fiction and landed in our day-to-day news cycle. While we all must face reality (however ugly it is), the ubiquity of information may be thrusting reality in our faces a little too often.
In an American Psychological Association survey fielded way back in 2017 — when one might call the news cycle mild in comparison to what we see today — more than half of respondents reported that following the news regularly caused them stress.
So how do you balance a desire to know what’s going on with your need to limit your stress levels?
Here are 8 tips for staying sane and also informed:
- Use a mindfulness app, such as Headspace, to practice accepting information without trying to change it.
- Remind yourself what issues are within your capacity to control. Avoid ruminating on problems outside your sphere.
- Stop and question your news consumption. Ask yourself, “Do I need to know this right now?” Professor and author Loretta Breuning says, “There’s this idea of following the news in order to be an informed citizen, but a lot of what you see today is gossip elevated to a sophisticated level.”
- Read the news only in specified time blocks throughout the day. Make this easier by turning off news alerts on your devices.
- Don’t process alone. Discuss events and your emotions about them with friends and loved ones.
- When you feel powerless, empower yourself by finding a way to make an impact via volunteering, donating, etc.
- Acknowledge the possibility that what you’re reading is a bit sensationalized. According to the Awareness Centre’s Michaela McCarthy, “News reporters and journalists no longer just bring straightforward, impartial factual bulletins for five to 10 minutes every hour; the fact that they are now part of a 24-hour newsfeed means that they have to vie for your attention and turn the news into wall-to-wall ‘entertainment.'”
- Feeling the need for a full-fledged detox? Try an information fast.
In Case You Missed It…
Uber for Business makes it easier than ever to impress clients or team members with meal and ride vouchers (plus, you only get charged for what actually gets used).
Cabinet is the platform for everything executive assistants and admins need to streamline and modernize administrative operations.
Sock Fancy makes corporate gifting a breeze with their premium branded swag. Get free samples by contacting their team and letting them know we sent you.
Boxed offers a consumer-like buying experience making procurement easy, efficient, and reliable. The items your office needs are delivered fast, at a competitive rate, directly to you.
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
- Executive Assistant (Nuoryon Management)
- Retention Marketing Manager (Foria)
- Data Analyst (Foria)
- Human Resources Business Partner (ZipRecruiter)
Can’t wait until next week’s The Assist? Here are some recs to tie you over until then.
- Need additional ideas for WHM? — find ways to celebrate at work.
- What is Culture as a Services (or CaaS)? Get the scoop here.
- Q2 is approaching — have you started thinking of your next set of SMART goals?