FOR THE MIND
The Hygge Lifestyle
Denmark consistently ranks as one of the happiest countries in the world. Coincidence?
Nope, they’ve got hygge (pronounced “hoo-ga”) to thank for that!
Hygge is all about creating that warm, fuzzy feeling of contentment and coziness in your everyday life.
It’s the art of embracing simple pleasures, indulging mindfully, and cultivating togetherness.
The good news is, you can embrace this Danish lifestyle right from the comfort of your own home.
- Light It Up: Candles are your new BFFs. Danes burn a ton of candles, and it’s not just for romantic evenings. Light up your space and bask in the warm, flickering glow.
- Cozy Comfort: Grab your coziest blanket, the one that feels like a hug from your grandma. Pair it with your most oversized sweater, leggings, and a top knot. Sweatpants? Absolutely, but let’s call them “hyggebukser” from now on.
- Feast Mode: Hygge and healthy living aren’t enemies, but it’s more about indulging mindfully. So, bake a cake, simmer a hearty stew, or just share a bowl of popcorn. Shared food tastes even better!
- Relax and Unplug: Hygge is all about slowing down and enjoying the simple pleasures. So, cancel that Spin class and let a good book, a cup of tea, and a stew simmer for hours take center stage. Board games over computer games, anyone?
- Movie Night: Netflix and chill are now officially hygge activities. Snuggle up under your cozy blanket, grab some popcorn, and enjoy a movie night with your loved ones.
- Create a Hygge Nook: Designate a cozy corner in your home as your “hyggekrog” (a nook for ultimate coziness). Fill it with your favorite books, a comfy chair, and, of course, more blankets.
- Random Acts of Kindness: Spread hygge by performing random acts of kindness for others, like baking cookies for a neighbor or sending a handwritten note to a friend.
TOGETHER WITH FIGMA
Make Your Meetings Unforgettable
⚡ Run better meetings with your team using this template. Make it a meeting to remember, with this team meeting agenda template in Figjam.
When you amp up your agendas with action plans, storyboards, and agile roadmaps, you can make every staff meeting—and every moment—count.
FOR THE BODY
Straighten Up, Buttercup
Picture yourself slouching – it’s comfy at first, right? But the longer you do it, the more likely it can lead to poor blood circulation, chronic pain in the neck and back, and the dreaded chronic fatigue.
The thing about bad posture is that sometimes we don’t even realize we’re doing it.
Want a quick way to gauge your posture game?
📏 The Wall Test:
- Stand against a wall.
- Your head, shoulder blades, and butt should all be against the wall.
- Put your palm flat on the wall.
- Reach behind and slip your hand between the wall and your back.
- If you’ve got good posture, you’ll leave about two inches of space between your butt and the wall. But if you’ve got more space than that, welcome to the “bad posture club” 🙈.
Alright, if you’ve officially joined the “Bad Posture Club,” don’t fret! We’ve got your back (literally).
Here are some tips to help you stand tall:
- Get a Mattress That’s Not a Marshmallow: A firm mattress gives your spine the support it craves. And remember, one pillow is all you need.
- Be a Side-Sleeper or Back-Sleeper: Sleeping on your stomach is like a wrestling match with your cervical vertebrae. Try side or back sleeping for a change.
- Lose Those Extra Pounds: Shedding some weight can do wonders for your posture. You’re basically lightening the load on your body’s support system.
- Move Those Muscles: Exercise isn’t just for the gym rats. Strengthening your core and other muscles will help you take on gravity.
- Practice Posture Everywhere: Walking, sitting, standing – whatever you’re up to, make good posture your sidekick. Catch yourself slouching? Correct it faster than autocorrect!
TOGETHER WITH WAVY
✨ Discover Workplace Culture Magic
On October 20th, our friends over at Wavy are hosting a free panel event diving into the importance of having a positive workplace culture. The event explores how you as a manager or IC can make small day to day changes that will have a massive impact on the culture of your workplace.
🤔 They’ll dive into questions like, what happens when you actively prioritize culture? And when you don’t?
How can you lead by example, and make it easy for your teammates to foster culture? How can you showcase the impact of culture to exec teams?
These panel events are an excellent chance to get inspired for your workplace programs.
Don’t worry if you miss it – they will also send out a recording to all registrants!
FOR THE WORKPLACE
10 Ways Your Company Can Go Greener
In a world where sustainability is more than just a buzzword, it’s time for your company to don its green cape and join the fight for a greener planet.
You might be surprised how these small changes can pack a big punch.
- Eliminate Single-Use Cups: Disposable cups contribute to environmental pollution and take eons to decompose. Encourage the use of reusable bottles and mugs to reduce waste.
Why it Matters: A staggering 8 million tons of plastic enter our oceans annually, with single-use cups playing a significant role. Eliminating them can make a substantial difference.
- Implement a Robust Recycling Program: Launch a comprehensive recycling program within your office. Clearly label bins and periodically remind employees of the importance of recycling.
Why it Matters: Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees, illustrating the profound impact of this eco-friendly practice.
- Embrace Energy Efficiency: Promote energy conservation by turning off lights and unplugging electronic devices when not in use. This approach benefits both the environment and your budget.
Why it Matters: Motion-activated lights can reduce energy consumption by up to 30%, representing a substantial reduction in your carbon footprint.
- Cultivate Green Spaces: Introduce plants to your office environment. Not only do they enhance aesthetics, but they also purify the air, creating a healthier workspace.
Why it Matters: NASA research indicates that indoor plants can eliminate up to 87% of indoor air pollutants within 24 hours, promoting a healthier atmosphere.
- Adopt Renewable Energy: Consider transitioning to renewable energy sources such as solar panels and wind power. This shift promotes sustainability while potentially reducing operational costs.
Why it Matters: Green energy plans are often competitively priced, demonstrating that eco-friendliness can be cost-effective.
- Support Local Suppliers: Opt for local suppliers that prioritize eco-friendly products. This choice reduces carbon emissions associated with transportation.
Why it Matters: Sourcing products locally decreases the environmental impact of shipping, making it a greener option.
- Donate Unused Items: Give old electronics, supplies, and branded merchandise a new lease on life by donating them to local charities.
Why it Matters: Recycling electronics reduces the need for resource-intensive mining, contributing to a sustainable approach.
- Organize Clothing Swaps: Encourage employees to exchange old clothes instead of discarding them. This practice extends the life of garments and reduces waste.
Why it Matters: Extending the life of clothing by just nine months can decrease its carbon footprint significantly.
- Eco-Friendly Cleaning: Use environmentally friendly cleaning products that are safe for both people and ecosystems.
Why it Matters: Conventional cleaning products can harm wildlife ecosystems, making eco-friendly alternatives a responsible choice.
- Support Telecommuting: Offer employees the option to work from home when feasible. This approach not only reduces carbon emissions but also enhances work-life balance.
Why it Matters: Reduced commuting leads to lower carbon emissions and less traffic congestion, benefiting the environment and employee well-being.
FOR YOUR TEAM
🍕 Happy National Pepperoni Pizza Day
This is your sign to throw your team a pizza party!
If you’re trying to stay healthy, this is your sign to take a break from work and play this fun online pizza making game. You’re welcome.
Our awesome partners help keep our content free 🥰
SimpliSafe offers advanced, award-winning home security with 24/7 professional monitoring for rapid police dispatch in emergencies.
Make smarter work (or even personal) decisions by creating an affinity diagram with this free template.
PandaDoc makes document management as easy as a few clicks.
monday.com is the project management software that powers the world’s top brands — find out what all the buzz is about.
NEW & NOTEWORTHY
🌿 Trying to boost your wellness hollistically, but don’t know where to start? Check out these 101 herbs and spices guide.
🤧 When your kids get sick, it’s hard not to get sick yourself. Here are some tips to keep you healthy.
🔖 Catch up on all Wellness Wednesday newsletters here.
🚨 Job Openings
- Northeast Center for Youth & Families, Inc. is hiring for an Administrative Assistant (Easthampton, MA).
- Altria is hiring for a Manager, Marketing Analytics (Richmond, VA/Remote).
- Sephora is hiring for an Operations Associate (NYC, NY).
- Windsor Fashion is hiring for an Operations and Program eCom Manager (Santa Fe Springs, CA).
- Google is hiring for an Administrative Business Partner II (NYC, NY).